Thursday, 8 January 2015

À Charlie.

I will never write about politics. I haven't been given the words too, and I reckon it's a world I belong to. Though today isn't about politics but a terrible human loss for my country, France. 


I was on my way to a job interview in Lewes when it happened. I was using the wifi of the shopping centre in Brighton when I heard the news, a few hours later. I never felt more alone. As a French expat in the UK, I couldn't share my sorrow with anyone. Of course, people know what happened, media from all over the world relayed the news within the next few hours, and people were genuinely moved. But us, French citizens, are broken; and I wish I could have hold my journalism students friends tight that night, and tell them how respectful I am, and how sorry I am. I am scared because things will obviously never be the same from now on. I am scared for our freedom to express ourselves, for the Muslim community, for journalism. 

Paris terrorist attack took away twelve lives, and knocked a whole nation out. Charlie Hebdo are not going to close their doors. I trust them, and I know they will get out of this stronger. We all will.

Illustration by Jean Jullien.


No comments:

Post a Comment