Monday, 29 December 2014

I Might Be Paranoid, But I'm Not An Android

I never thought about it before tonight but the title I chose for my blog (still unreal to me by the way...) may actually sound a tad passive aggressive. Ten points for the one who gets the reference though, and there's a million of hints just before your very eyes (see what I did there? no...? no).

I've been sticking with the whole when I am king theme for a bunch of years now. It's a reference to my favourite Radiohead song, Paranoid Android: 'When I am king, you will be first against the wall'. This line is amazing, and the song absolutely mind-blowing. Radiohead is a huge part of my life. I don't just love them, I'm passionate about them. I listened to them for the first time ten years ago and instantly fell in love. They have been my favourite band since then and nothing compares to how they make me feel.

Paranoid Android has a particular story. First thing first, this song appears on their 3rd album, Ok Computer, released in 1997. It's their most popular album to date but also one of the life-changing albums of the decade. Ok Computer completely changed the band members' lives and determined their following choices music wise. Thom Yorke said in interviews that the song was about the decline of the Roman Empire. I love how this doesn't make any sense, and that the song sounds more like an experiment, it's pretty long and divided in different parts with different atmospheres, colours and rythms. Jonny Greenwood has an amazing solo and Thom's voice is heart-wrecking.

In June 2006, I traveled with my school to England for the first time. This experience meant so much to me. I had dreamt about going to my promise land for so long and had a pretty bad health at that time so traveling that far was a huge challenge I was so proud and happy to achieve. The journey lasted aproximately six hours by bus, and for obscure reasons, I couldn't listen to anything else but Paranoid Android. After all these years, I still get chills listening to it as all the memories come back, that's why this song means a lot to me.


I am not a massive fan of the video though, I'm used to a certain aesthetic from Radiohead, but at least we can't say that they don't try different things!

A few other references hidden in my blog: Before Your Very Eyes is the opening track of AMOK, Thom Yorke's side band Atoms For Peace debut album; the background is a painting by Stanley Donwood, Radiohead's artwork designer and also my favourite artist ever.

More info down there!





No comments:

Post a Comment